Understanding Rugby Union
Learn to 'talk the talk' of rugby union
Now: £1.40 (GBP)
Unpick the complex rules, structures and jargon of Rugby Union.
Understanding Rugby Union helps you do just that! It is packed with information about rugby to help anyone with an interest in rugby union, quickly demystify the sport and make learning about it fun.
Suitable for adults and children, players and rugby union fans
This great book features:
- an introductory quiz to assess your existing knowledge and help you zoom into the right sections to help you improve your game
- chapters on what you need to play rugby union, the laws of the game, misconduct, skills and much more
- interactive tasks to test your understanding and progression as you work through the chapters
- relevant websites to visit to further your knowledge of rugby
- profiles of the great rugby players, past and present to inspire you.
Look out for other titles in this series, covering football, cricket, rugby league, tennis, hockey, netball and athletics.
Forewords by former internationals Matt Perry and Nigel Redman
- Author: Julia Hickey
- Copyright Year: 2006
- ISBN: 978-1-905540-09-9
- Length: 60 pages
- Chapter 1 - Getting the Most Out of Understanding Rugby Union
- Chapter 2 - Rugby and Rugby Union Through the Ages
- Chapter 3 - Getting Started
- Chapter 4 - The Basics
- Chapter 5 - The Ingredients of Rugby Union
- Chapter 6 - Following the Progress of a Match
- Chapter 7 - Phases of Play and Set Pieces
- Chapter 8 - Being Offside
- Chapter 9 - Fouls, Obstruction and Misconduct
- Chapter 10 - Finding Out More
- Glossary; Quiz answers; Bibliography; Index
"I started playing rugby at the age of 10, and I wish that Understanding Rugby Union was around then. It would have enabled me to have fun and enjoy learning the skills while also understanding the main principles behind the game. It provides a comprehensive insight into the rules and theories of rugby union, making it an instant hit with all youngsters!"
-- Matt Perry, Member of the England, British Lions and Bath teams
"Understanding Rugby Union, like the game itself, is fun and has something for everyone ... whether you are interested in finding out more about the game by just dipping in and out, or are looking for a good read, this book is a must-have."
-- Nigel Redman, RFU National Academy Coach
Julia Hickey is an associate lecturer at Sheffield Hallam University with responsibility for Adult Basic Education. She is also author of the other titles in the Understanding Sport series.